Friday, May 28, 2010

aye to zee!

today... a music alphabet soup! some bands you should check out. one for each letter (hopefully!) of the alphabet. it's not a best of, or a list of bands you don't know of. it's just a list. i'm not sure where i should start... maybe... hmmm...
i'll go with A!


Away From Now
A Melbourne hardcore punk outfit that has a reputation for providing consistent energetic, tight live sets to their audiences. Their debut album Blackout changed my view of punk rock in Australia.

Billy Bragg
Stephen William Bragg, the bard of Barking, is the most punk rock person I can think of. Jumping from politics to romance and back again his songs delight me every single time. Spanning the gaps between folk, pop, rock and punk he truly is a genius.

Captain, We're Sinking
I've only just started listening to these guys. Can't get enough. Really. Find them, treat yourself. You can download a 4 track ep for free here!

The Don Ramos Players
The Don Ramos Players draw influences from bands such as Hot Water Music, The Lawrence Arms, Small Brown Bike and The Loved Ones to name a few. This is not technical, there is no messing about. If you like it, then that's good. If you don’t, then you don’t. They can live with that.

Enrique Iglesias
Enrique is sexy. Check him out! :P


Fake problems
They make me want to dance. They make me want to cry. They make me swoon for men. Seriously they are the best. Love them you will.

The Gaslight Anthem
Rock and roll the way it should be. Thank you Coco.

Hot Water Music
I only got onto the Hot Water Music train about 60 million years to late but they are amazing and have shaped the punk that I listen to. Every band in the world must be influenced by HWM.

Ignite
Be inflamed, be impassioned. Enjoy.

José González
Listen to the guys guitar work. Listen to his voice. Listen to his songs. They are beautiful. Not bad for a guy from Sweden. Respect.

Kill Whitey
Kill Whitey are an an "indie swing four piece" from Melbourne. I found them when they toured with Grim Fandango.

LaGrecia
They're a rock band that has the guy from None More Black in it. Get it in ya!

Million Dead
You may have heard of Frank Turner. Million Dead is the band Frank was in before he started his solo stuff. Don't get me wrong I like Frank Turners solo stuff, but this is jsut so much better. Do yourself a favour and get "A Song To Ruin". It'll change you...

No Trigger
It's been a long time since the last No Trigger record came out. I'm sitting here crossing my little fingers that something new is in the works but as each week passes with no news at all I get a little sadder. They're still rad and I like them. Yay!

The Offspring
I grew up on them. They helped me get to where I am today. I've been listening to them alot lately. Smash is still one of the greatest records ever released. If you havent listened to it in a while do it now. Thank me later.

Protest The Hero
Warning: will melt your face.

Queen
Classics. You love em... don't pretend you don't!


Rancid
Another band that I've been listening to alot lately. They do it right. Simple as that.

Small Brown Bike
They come and go in my listening. When they're here I can't get enough of them. I'm actually listening to "Dead Reckoning" right now!

Tom Petty
He won't back down becahuse he's free falling while running down a dream.

Ugly Kid Joe
America's least wanted band. The first Cassette I ever bought for myself was an UKJ album. Ahhhh, the memories!

Various Artists
It's not a joke. The best way to get into new bands is sampler CDs and compilations. Often they're for a good cause too... Get involved!

Will Shatner
His cover of "Common People" = hilarious!

Xkcd
Is not a musician or band but I can't think of one and it's an awesome web comic. enjoy!

Yellowcard
Viollins rock!

Zxspecky
Perth band. I saw them once and they played their set in alphabetical order. What better way is there to finish an alphabetical list!?


Have fun kids!

1 comment:

  1. Some cool suggestions there man!

    So glad to have seen Away From Now prior to their sad sad demise.

    Grim Fandango and Kill Whitey also kick arse!

    For some cool Tassie bands check out -

    Rise the Tiger - there's a bit about them on a recent blog post of mine - www.myspace.com/ridethetigerrock

    and Luca Brasi (newer band, showing potential) - http://www.myspace.com/lucabrasipunkrock

    Cool blog man

    Andi

    ReplyDelete